This document outlines Technology Services’ support parameters for the two 20-unit Poling Center Apple MacBook labs (mobile lab) including supported hardware and software, check-out processes and repair procedures to ensure classroom needs are met in a timely and efficient manner.
Equipment and Environment
• Each mobile lab includes the following hardware: 20 Apple MacBook notebooks, 20 compact mice in a transport case, an HP P2015DN printer, and the Apple mobile cart.
• Technology Services supports Windows XP, Service Pack 2; Macintosh OS X is not supported in the mobile labs at this time.
• The mobile lab notebooks include the following supported software: Office 2007, Adobe Acrobat, QuickTime, iTunes, and Photoshop Elements.
• The mobile labs provide the following network services: wireless internet connectivity, wireless printing to the included printer and connections to mapped network drives.
• The mobile lab is supported for use by students, faculty, staff, and administration members for University-related learning and business purposes.
• The mobile labs are authorized for short-term use in any room of the Poling Center for Global Learning and Leadership. Technology Services must approve requests for use outside the Poling Center and/or for extended periods.
Reservation, Setup and Storage Process
• The requestor checks the availability of the labs by setting up a meeting in Outlook or Entourage for the time requested and including MOBILELAB – Poling 1 and/or MOBILELAB – Poling 2 as an attendee.
• If available, the requestor sends the meeting invitation to one or both of the labs. Requests must be received at least 48 hours in advance for regular business hours and one week in advance for evening or weekend times. Technology Services will accept the invitation, reserving the lab(s) for the requested time slot.
• On the day of the requested event, Technology Services will deliver the lab cart(s), plug in the power and network cables and verify printer functionality.
• The requestor removes the notebooks and power supplies as needed for the event.
• The requestor replaces the notebooks and power supplies immediately upon completion of the event and will lock the lab cart.
• Technology Services will verify all the hardware is present and will return the cart(s) to storage within 1 hour of event completion.
Technology Services Responsibilities
• Technology Services will monitor reservation requests and respond within 24 hours.
• Technology Services will provide delivery and setup 15 minutes prior to the requested time block.
• Technology Services will retrieve and store the lab(s) after the requested time block.
• The help desk will provide basic troubleshooting and support. The help desk will answer functionality questions and either resolve or escalate repair requests to the Computer Repair Center within one (1) hour during regular help desk hours.
• The Computer Repair Center will provide advanced troubleshooting and repair. The Repair Center will resolve software-related repairs up to and including re-install of the operating system within 24 hours of the request during regular Computer Repair Center hours.
• The Computer Repair Center will resolve all notebook hardware-related repairs in conjunction with Apple support. In the event a notebook requires more than 24 hours for repair, a spare notebook will be made available.
• The Computer Repair Center will resolve all printer-related repairs in conjunction with HP support. In the event the printer requires more than 24 hours for repair, a spare printer will be made available.
• The Helpdesk will provide printer maintenance, ensuring adequate toner and paper supplies.
• All requests will be tracked with appropriate documentation using the Web Help Desk software.
Hours of Coverage
• The Technology Services Helpdesk is open from 8 AM to 7 PM, Monday through Thursday and from 8 AM to 5 PM on Friday.
• The Computer Repair Center is open from 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday. If the Repair Center is closed due to staff travel, service standards will be delayed until staff is available.
• Make reservations for the mobile lab(s) through Outlook or Entourage.
• Remove notebooks and power supplies from the cart(s) before the event and replace them afterwards.
• Contact the Helpdesk for functionality questions and break/fix support.
• Be responsible for security of the mobile lab(s) during the time reserved. Repair or replacement costs of mobile lab equipment due to misuse or negligence will be charged to the requestor’s cost center.
Unless otherwise noted, these commitments are valid from October 10, 2008 and will remain in effect until replaced with an updated version. Technology Services will evaluate version updates for Mac OS and Windows as they are released and will issue a revised agreement as required. Requests for revision of this document may be submitted in writing to the Director of Support Services at any time.