Tutor Bios

Bekah Black

In several ways, I am the stereotypical English major: I enjoy a good cup of tea, get grossly passionate about my favorite novels, and am involved in a complicated love affair with semi-colons. Besides that, I love ice cream, contemporary dance, and helping people create things they’re proud of — not necessarily in that order. Stop by the Writing Center and say hi! I’d love to get to know you and that paper you’ve been worrying about; if you bring ice cream, we can stress-eat together.

David Kohns

My name is David, and I’m a Theological Studies and History double major with an English minor. (Yes, it is a lot, but I love it.) The thing these all have in common? Writing. Writing is not only a necessary part of life, but also something I am very passionate about. My goal whenever I’m helping someone with their writing is showing them how to embrace their passion, but still to be professional. I love being involved in music. I play in the jazz and concert bands and sing in the choir here at SAU. I read for pleasure every single day and strongly believe that being a good reader makes you a better writer. I love working with people one on one, and I can’t wait to see you in the Writing Center!

Libby Lorenz

I am majoring in both English and Spanish, and as you might be able to guess, I adore words and language. Besides reading and writing, I spend most of my time daydreaming, listening to music, or talking with friends about whatever is on their mind (or talking at anyone who will listen about my favorite books). One of the things I love most about language is that it allows us to share our perspectives with other people and shift the way we see things. I can’t wait to share our perspectives with one another as we grow together at the Writing Center!

Joey Sass

Hi, I’m Joey, an English major who enjoys playing guitar, video games, and writing (I don’t think I could legally or morally work here without at least being fond of writing, actually). It’s my pleasure to help you improve not only any papers you bring into the writing center, but also yourself as you grow into a stronger writer. Developing writing skills is a lengthy process, one that I myself am still fully entrenched in. Let’s have an engaging conversation as we try to develop our skills together! 

Mariah VanReneen

If you come into the Writing Center and wonder who the heck it was that doodled all over the place, it was me. I enjoy creating things, and as you could guess, my favorite things to create are stories – that is, if I can settle down long enough to begin writing. When I’m not doodling in the writing center (or perhaps, helping you out with your own papers and stories), I’m having the time of my life wandering through nature and having philosophical conversations with a close friend, or facilitating a high ropes course at Camp Michindoh. I like to keep myself busy, so come join me in the writing center and let’s get to revising!